Thursday, August 25, 2016

Follow These Tips to Save Energy Around Your Home


   Every year many people are spending more and more money on their electric bill without realizing how much they could be saving if they do a few simple things around their home. Anna Maria, Holmes Beach, and Bradenton beach are no exceptions! Did you know that the average Floridian spends over $125 for their electric bill? I was dumbfounded at how much my electric bill was for a 740 square foot home. My electric company told me a few tips to help reduce my bill, but nothing seemed to be working. I turned to the internet for help. After researching many sites, blogs, and other sources I found a few tips to try. Once I received my new bill, I must say the small stuff actually did make the bill lower and me happier. 

   Some of these tips I tried and it helped- and some of the others I'm listing as alternative methods that may be able to help you.

  • Install a programmable thermostat on your air conditioner, if it doesn't already have one.
  • Use shades and curtains on your windows.
  • Clean and change your filters on your air conditioner regularly.
  • Check all window and door seals to ensure you don't have any air leaks. This can save you up to 20% on your next bill.
  • In the summer change your fan to counter-clockwise and in the winter change it to clockwise on low.
  • Set your air conditioner to auto instead of on.
  • Wash your clothes in cold water. Your laundry detergent will still work the same. :)
  • Wash and dry all of your clothes at once. With your dyer already being warm, this will save you energy as opposed to letting it cool and have to re-heat.
  • Try and do full loads of laundry. If you have to do a small load- make sure you change the load size.
  • Change your light bulbs to the new and improved CFLs and LEDs.
  • Look for the energy star label on your lights and other products to save energy.
  • Turn off all lights, appliances, and electronics when not in use.
  • Plug your electronics (and other items) into a power strip and turn them off that way. It's an easier way to turn off multiple devices at once.
  • Use low-flow water faucets and showerheads.
  • Reduce your water heater temperature to 130° F.
  • Replace your old refrigerator (if it's from 1990 and older). 
  • Shorten your showers
  • Unplug your battery charges. These siphon energy even when you're not charging your device.
  • Set up your computer to sleep or hibernate instead of using the screen saver. The screen saver actually uses more energy than either of the other two options. The best thing to do is to turn it off if you're not using it.
If after trying these tips and/or you're ready to look into a new house for sale on Anna Maria, Holmes Beach, or Bradenton Beach reach out to me at 941-545-8877. I'd be more than happy to answer any and all real estate questions you have.



Check us out on FacebookTwitter, and Google +.


No comments:

Post a Comment